Thursday, January 20, 2011

oh the travel bug.



It was a hard week of school. I'm realizing how much time this semester is going to eat up. But I have some really, really great things planned in the next 2 months including returning to New Orleans and flying to San Diego for a friend's wedding. So when I have tough days like this, I jam out to this song above, make food with my best friends and take V to the windy, cold dog park. These things make me happier than almost anything.

There are two main things I would like to talk about. Both in which have been weighing heavily on my mind for the past week.

The first matter is something that I feel is worth mentioning. I have come to understand and appreciate that every artist is different. I think that is what makes art so beautiful, because it is an interpretation of what someone feels, believes and sees in the world. I truly, honestly, believe in sharing creativity through inspiration. And I truly, honestly, believe that people who steal that creativity are not artists at all and should not call themselves as such. Art is meant to be unique. It isn't unique when you take someone's feelings, beliefs and views of the world and claim them as your own. I have a lot of sympathy for people who steal someone's creativity, because it demonstrates their insecurity in their own ideas. Your ideas are not someone else's. So be proud of your individuality and own your uniqueness.

Ok, rant over. I needed to share that.

Second matter of business: traveling. I log on to facebook recently and every single day there are photos of my friends traveling abroad. Seriously. Nepal, Italy, Greece, England, and what seems like every country in Africa. I have been extremely envious looking through these photographs. I keep making up excuses for myself for not traveling and buying a plane ticket.
One of my greatest fears is also one of my greatest desires: to travel. There are so many things to be discovered, there are new places and new foods and new surroundings, completely. And in some ways, this really scares me. There are a lot of things that are pretty uncomfortable. But one of the best things about traveling is seeing the familiar in places that are not familiar at all. The other really, really good part about traveling is being able to collect memories to bring back. I'm feeling pretty lucky that I will be able to bring the back in such a visual and artistic way.
So over the course of the past year I've been making excuses of why I haven't been traveling. I'm ready to explore the world in new places and experience different cultures. So, yesterday I designed a "Around the World" ticket.
And it will be purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment