Tuesday, February 2, 2010

a couple notes on being unique






Everyone wants to be unique, everyone wants to be thought of as being a individual; that there is something that sets them apart from the rest of the world.

Every single person has a different set of beliefs, frustrations, and talents. I would like to believe that my talent is capturing a moment forever. I strive to make my photography unlike the photographer's next to mine. I want it to hold your attention; to turn your head and take a second look. I want it to tug at something in your heart and make you remember something from your own life. I want my moments to relate to yours.

I'm taking a photojournalism class this semester. I guess it is a good thing that as a photographer, I am being forced outside my comfort zone. But I absolutely refuse to give up my creativity to make something look like it is designed for a newspaper. For the first time in my life, I feel as if my artistic-ness is looked down upon because I don't make things look "hard news". I will never, ever be a newspaper photographer. It is not my calling in life. So the class has become significantly harder each time, trying to make my photos artistic, yet, able to write a story behind them. It is frustrating to say the least. Striving to find the balance between uniqueness yet achieving the necessary criteria for the photos has been proving to be harder than I thought.

So to you, my friends, who are striving to be unique...you are. There is something about you that sets you apart from the world, and that is pretty freaking cool. I'm not sure who reads this but the people who I know that do are some of my favorite people in the world because they are beautifully different.

And as a side note with some photos, I took pictures of my roommates iguana, Freddy. He amazes me.



No comments:

Post a Comment