Friday, March 5, 2010

circles


"stories move in circles. They don't go in straight lines.
So it helps if you listen in circles...there are stories inside stories and stories between stories and finding your way through them is as easy and as hard as finding your way home. And part of the finding is the getting lost. And when you're lost, you start to look around and listen."

This quote is from one of my most favorite of favorites of books. It is called Everyday Sacred and it is about bowls and circles. At first, the book looked incredibly boring and I didn't see how reading about circles and bowls and round plates and empty things could possibly correlate to my life. And then the more I read, the more I found: lives are like empty bowls. You fill them up with things, with people, with good feelings and moments and love. We also try to fill them with things that take away from your bowl. This can be so many things...be aware of them.

My life is a story. I love listening to stories so much because I strongly believe that they make up people's lives. They are the wrinkles on the corners of their eyes, the bent edge on a paper book page and the lines on their palms of their hands. They are what make decisions tomorrow and the next day. They are the door that the person chooses.

And the realize, the more I get lost in the incredibleness of everything I'm finding in this world lately, the more I'm listening. Even broken things are incredible. Because finding emotions that powerful, like being broken or frustration or happiness, are really strong forces. And out of these sometimes comes the best creativity because they are that strong.

i knew what you were doing.
you were memorizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment