Thursday, January 28, 2010

change

I decided I needed to do something to change the way I've been feeling.

So this morning, I skipped class. It's only the 3rd week, oh well. I slept in, did homework and felt 10x more productive.

I went to class, worked, and then took Veda over to a friends house for a play-date while we ate dinner. Pictures of dinner will be up tomorrow. Let me just paint this picture for you while you wait for photos: Salmon with brown sugar glaze, mashed potatoes with garlic, sour cream and butter, and salad with cranberries, pine nuts, red vinaigrette dressing and feta cheese.
oh yeah. this girl, one of my best friends, knows that this is my favorite.

So we sat.
we ate.
we laughed.
we laughed more.
and we ate again.

And I felt a lot better. Well, then of course I decided to go to the store to buy a tripod for my camera, as I have been meaning to do this for awhile. While at the grocery I bought things...like my weight in candy but it was exactly what I wanted. And among this candy I bought dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds. brilliant. and as a side note, dollar stores are ridiculously awesome.


But now onto things important: roots

find your roots and plant them. My roots are the people I surround myself with. Pearl Jam has this song called "Just Breathe" (it's super good) but in it he says, "i'm a lucky man, to count on both hands, the ones I love." I always think of this when I think of my roots. These are the people that keep me grounded, that bring me back to earth when I start to float away. They are the people that say 'don't put it off until tomorrow, deal with it now.'

Sadly, recently I have had to re-evaluate roots in my life. I think it is healthy to do that every once in awhile. Take a look around you and think long and hard if those people you surround yourself with make you a better person. If they do, pull them closer, and make sure they are tied in knots around your base. If they don't, why are you keeping them around?

No comments:

Post a Comment